No Products in the Cart
The design of the Hiroshima Carp uniforms drew inspiration from the MLB's Cincinnati Reds. Local historians also point to the University of Chicago's baseball team who toured Japan in 1912. Their logo 'copied' an opponent on that tour, Chuo University, who copied the distinctive "C" logo. Chuo University alumni were instrumental in founding the Hiroshima Carp.
In 1949, the city of Hiroshima established the Hiroshima Carp as part of the rebuilding of Hiroshima after the war. Upon its formation, the team joined the Central League in December 1949 as the Hiroshima Carp.
The team found it difficult to find sponsorships and a lack of funding became a serious problem in 1951. Finally, the team was forced to contemplate closure or a merger with the Taiyo Whales team, which was based in Shimonoseki, Yamaguchi. Hiroshima's citizens reacted the only way a great fan base can: they raised the money needed through small donations to keep the team playing.